The Greater St. Louis Area Council (GSLAC), Boy Scouts of America, is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization located in St. Louis, Missouri; with offices in Cape Girardeau, MO, Decatur, IL, and Herrin, IL. The Intern (Paid/Unpaid) learns through an experienced environment, the role and responsibilities of being a professional Scouter. The student receives academic credit for his or her work for a full semester (12 to 16 weeks) and registers with the BSA.
The objective of this internship is to foster the development of the intern by working with all levels of the office to complete programs and learn both professionally and personally about the Boy Scouts of America and the non-profit industry.
• Work alongside a professional Scouter for approximately 20 hours a week to gain insight into Scouting.
• Fill out a weekly log on activities completed for the week, noting previous results and learning outcomes (usually provided by the college/university).
• Complete, with the mentor, midterm and final evaluations (usually provided by the college/university)
• Attend meetings, training courses, and activities to experience the varied opportunities within Scouting careers.
• Prepare assignments as directed by the mentor.
• Register and comply with college or university requirements to receive academic credit
Physical Activities/Visual Activities/Mental Demands
Talking, listening, reading, detail work, problem solving, reasoning, verbal communication, written Communication, customer contact, and multiple concurrent tasks.
• High School degree
• Interested in the nonprofit sector or Boy Scouts of America
• Outstanding communication skills, both oral and written, are essential
• Previous nonprofit experience and/or coursework in fundraising, nonprofit management, or marketing and communication
• Should be organized, self-motivated and a team player
• Boy Scout experience is a plus
• Approved interns must subscribe to the values of the Scout Oath and Scout Law and must register as an adult member of the BSA.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and other relevant computer programs
• Schedule and number of hours per week is negotiable
Area of Focus: Communications, Education, Marketing, Social Services, Non-Profit Management and Philanthropy
How to apply: Submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.