Loan & Appraisal Review Officer
Midwest BankCentre is proud to be recognized as one of St. Louis’ Top Workplaces for 2021 and 2022!
About Midwest BankCentre
Midwest BankCentre is a values-based bank that has been a mainstay of St. Louis community banking since 1906. Our purpose is to help regional communities thrive by creating the conditions to help Main Street, marginalized communities and multicultural markets live into their full potential. We work to empower people, enable business and energize neighborhoods through the strength of our financial services, including personalized consumer and business banking, business cash management, mortgage lending, home equity loans, financial planning and investments, insurance and digital banking.
We are committed to making meaningful, long-term investments in communities that lift everyone up so we can all RISE TOGETHER. Our commitment to shared prosperity, our investment in Community and Economic Development and our dedication to diversity and inclusion are reflected is the ways Midwest BankCentre lives its purpose.
A few more facts about Midwest BankCentre:
- We are ranked as one of the top employers in the region because of our commitment to our team members and the communities we serve.
- We rank among the St. Louis Region’s largest locally owned banks.
- We have 17 locations throughout Missouri and Illinois, including the City of St. Louis and St. Louis, St. Charles, Jefferson, and St. Clair Counties.
- We have state of the art online and mobile banking platforms that allow us to meet customers where they are to help them get to where they want to be.
- We foster a culture that supports your success and professional growth.
Objectives of this Role
The Loan Review Manager is responsible for conducting an independent review and risk assessment of the Bank’s loan portfolio, ensuring adherence to Bank credit policies, procedures, and processes, underwriting guidelines, and applicable laws, rules, regulations, in addition to determining that risk is accurately identified via the Bank’s internal loan risk rating system to ensure the Bank maintains sound credit quality.The Loan Review Manager is also responsible for the management of the Appraisal Process, including the ordering and review of appraisals and preparation of internal real estate evaluations, and supervision of staff performing this function.
- Establish the annual loan review plan and scope and provides monthly reports to the Board Loan Committee
- Conducts reviews of borrower loan files, including loan documentation, credit histories, personal and/or business statements, and other financial information including collateral valuations.
- Evaluates the quality of loans and assigned risk ratings indicating borrower's financial strength and probability of loan repayment.
- Maintains strong working knowledge of the bank's lending policies and procedures and identifies deviations from the policy.
- Assist with post-origination classification of loan assets for accounting and regulatory reporting requirements.
- Identifies problem loans and describes deficiencies.
- Writes summary of analysis and reasons for assigning adverse risk rating.
- Provides assistance and consultation to loan officers, other lending personnel (loan administration, lending assistants, etc.), auditors and regulatory examiners.
- Participates in special lending-related projects as directed.
- Engage and manage third-party loan review service providers, if and as needed
- Performs additional job-related duties as assigned or required.
- Manage the daily operations and functions of the appraisal and evaluation functions.
- Assist in implementing an automated appraisal management platform
- Review appraisal and evaluation reports to ensure they are adequately supported and in compliance with laws and regulations
Interacts with lending-related personnel throughout the bank. Communicates and coordinates with external contacts (government agencies/regulatory officials, outside vendors, etc.)
- Thorough knowledge of lending laws and regulations
- Strong analytical, technical and statistical skills
- Sound working knowledge of accounting principles and financial statements
- Ability to create reports of review findings
- Capability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of lenders, managers, directors and/or regulatory officials
- Strong integrity in all areas, adhering to policies, regulations and utmost ethical and legal standards
- Uphold confidentiality and privacy of findings in all situations
- Demonstrate ability to prioritize and handle multiple projects
- Remain flexible to withstand unpredictable changes to schedules and deadlines
- Interact and communicate effectively with personnel at all levels of the organization
Skills and Qualifications
- Achievement of a bachelor’s degree in business related field with an emphasis in finance or accounting; or equivalent combination of education and experience required.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in a regulatory examiner or five-year equivalent loan review or credit analysis capacity is required.
- Strong leadership skills with proven results in defining and achieving key initiatives and leading teams
- Must be highly organized and able to simultaneously maintain and manage multiple time-sensitive reports and projects
- Strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient in Word and Excel computer programs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. This is largely a sedentary role; however, some filing is required. This would require the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand on a stool as necessary.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they meet every listed qualification. Midwest BankCentre is recognized nationally for its Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion practices and embraces these practices as a competitive advantage.
If you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be the right candidate for this or other Midwest BankCentre roles!
An Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.
We thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position and Midwest BankCentre. Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.